It all started when Claire refused to breastfeed around Thursday evening. She was not fussing, just would not latch on and seemed content and tired. My lactation consultant said that was normal when your milk comes in that a baby might reject you until your breasts soften. So I began to pump Friday morning and she took two ounce and a half bottles within the first few hours, later that evening she would not suck or swallow when given a bottle. Chad and I tried to feed her several times throughout the night and were convinced that she was just extremely tired and she would feed better after some rest in the morning. Chad was changing her diaper around 8:30am on Saturday morning and noticed he could not put Claire's leg back in her pajamas like normal. He felt her legs and they were frozen stiff sticking straight out in front of her. He immediately yelled for me and we agreed that we needed to get into the doctor right away. We called her pediatrician and were able to get in for an appointment. As we sat in the waiting room we were rocking Claire in her car seat and playing, as she was acting normal and coherent, when we noticed that her cheeks started to tighten as well. When the doctor undressed her to exam her legs and weighed her he said that we needed to call the rescue squad right away to take her down to the Children's Hospital ER. She had lost a lot of weight and was completely dehydrated from not wanting to eat. She weighed 5 lbs 13 ounces. When we got there they had suspected that it was meningitis or something caused by Group B Strep. I thought that was pretty common and I had heard about it before and knew it was curable. But as the afternoon progressed I heard the doctors suspecting that it could be one of three things a metabolic disorder, infectious disease, or genetic disorder. Later that evening we found out that on top of one of these three underlying conditions she had two heart issues. The first one being a narrowing of the passage way in her aorta that needed correction as soon as she stabilized and the second a valve that separates the two chambers of her heart that was slightly open and eventually could close itself or would need to be closed later in life. All of this had caused stress on her kidney, liver, and built up gasses and toxins in her system, which was just moments away from renal failure. I don't really remember too much detail about that night other than one of the intensive care doctors that kept saying "if she would make it through the night" and "if this disease or disorder was survivable." I kept telling my Mom that this whole experience felt surreal and like it was not happening to me. I could not stand it when our updates would sound more fatal and more negative. I kept holding out for some good news because I could not imagine her not being with us anymore, especially now that she was home and we just started to form our routines. As time went by the night did not bring any better news and the doctor told us that she had about a 50% chance of making it through the night, so our families decided to hold a Baptism just in case. We named Chad's sister Cassie as the Godmother and our friend Aaron Kaisershot as the Godfather. We had two priests from Saint Roberts and Saint James and about 20 different friends and family members present at midnight. At that point all we could do was have faith that she would fight through this and pray for her. Thank you to all who were present and all those prayers we received that night.
Monday, November 3, 2008
Scarey Saturday
It all started when Claire refused to breastfeed around Thursday evening. She was not fussing, just would not latch on and seemed content and tired. My lactation consultant said that was normal when your milk comes in that a baby might reject you until your breasts soften. So I began to pump Friday morning and she took two ounce and a half bottles within the first few hours, later that evening she would not suck or swallow when given a bottle. Chad and I tried to feed her several times throughout the night and were convinced that she was just extremely tired and she would feed better after some rest in the morning. Chad was changing her diaper around 8:30am on Saturday morning and noticed he could not put Claire's leg back in her pajamas like normal. He felt her legs and they were frozen stiff sticking straight out in front of her. He immediately yelled for me and we agreed that we needed to get into the doctor right away. We called her pediatrician and were able to get in for an appointment. As we sat in the waiting room we were rocking Claire in her car seat and playing, as she was acting normal and coherent, when we noticed that her cheeks started to tighten as well. When the doctor undressed her to exam her legs and weighed her he said that we needed to call the rescue squad right away to take her down to the Children's Hospital ER. She had lost a lot of weight and was completely dehydrated from not wanting to eat. She weighed 5 lbs 13 ounces. When we got there they had suspected that it was meningitis or something caused by Group B Strep. I thought that was pretty common and I had heard about it before and knew it was curable. But as the afternoon progressed I heard the doctors suspecting that it could be one of three things a metabolic disorder, infectious disease, or genetic disorder. Later that evening we found out that on top of one of these three underlying conditions she had two heart issues. The first one being a narrowing of the passage way in her aorta that needed correction as soon as she stabilized and the second a valve that separates the two chambers of her heart that was slightly open and eventually could close itself or would need to be closed later in life. All of this had caused stress on her kidney, liver, and built up gasses and toxins in her system, which was just moments away from renal failure. I don't really remember too much detail about that night other than one of the intensive care doctors that kept saying "if she would make it through the night" and "if this disease or disorder was survivable." I kept telling my Mom that this whole experience felt surreal and like it was not happening to me. I could not stand it when our updates would sound more fatal and more negative. I kept holding out for some good news because I could not imagine her not being with us anymore, especially now that she was home and we just started to form our routines. As time went by the night did not bring any better news and the doctor told us that she had about a 50% chance of making it through the night, so our families decided to hold a Baptism just in case. We named Chad's sister Cassie as the Godmother and our friend Aaron Kaisershot as the Godfather. We had two priests from Saint Roberts and Saint James and about 20 different friends and family members present at midnight. At that point all we could do was have faith that she would fight through this and pray for her. Thank you to all who were present and all those prayers we received that night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Chad and Mindy: there are no words to say to you that will make you feel better.Just know that we are thinking of all of you constantly-and are praying-went to Mass this am and spoke to our pastor-he too will be praying for Claire-I am so sorry she and you have to go through this-God Bless you - and keep you all in his care-and bring Claire to health. Our Love, Morrie and Pat
Chad and Mindy: Thinking about you guys constantly and praying for baby Claire. I can't even imagine what you must be going through right now. Our thoughts and prayers are with you! She is a tough little cookie, just like her mommy and daddy!
Love, Tricia, Jim, Luke, Will and Anna
Chad and Mindy,
I am a friend of Cassies and wanted to let you both know that you are both so strong. Your entire family are in my prayers! Thanks to Cassie I have had continual updates. All the youth at St. Roberts are praying for little Claire. She draws so much strength from all of you.
With many prayers,
Debbie
Chad and Mindy: There is not a moment of the day and evening I dont think and pray for all of you! She is such a strong lil darling girl that has made it this far and we all know God will be with her too fight through this!! All my love and prayers!
Alissa
I work with your Aunt Julie at West Corp. Please know my entire church family and I are praying for Claire and all of you. May God bring you strength in the many days ahead.
Chad and Mindy,
What an adorable daughter you have! We are very excited to hold her again. With Claire's strength and all these prayers, we know she will pull through all of this. You two are wonderful parents. Claire is lucky to have you and all the love from your wonderful family.
We love you Claire!
Aaron, CC, Bailey, and Broden
I work with Cassie. I will continue to keep Claire and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Chad and Mindy: I don't even know how to express how much we are praying and thinking about Claire. I can't imagine what you are going through. We will continue to pray until she pulls through, and she will. She is a little fighter! Love, Sarah
Chad and Mindy,
We have been thinking about and praying for you and Claire. I can't imagine what you are going through. There are a lot of people praying for your family and you will get through this. Claire is very lucky to have such wonderful parents! She's got a lot of people that love her and care about her very much.
Love,
Laura and Rusty
Chad and Mindy:
Abby - I am thinking about you guys all day. I am praying for Claire and your family. Everyday I pray for her at my school and my whole class is so interested in her story. I know she is a little fighter.
Matt - I am keeping Claire in my prayers and I know God with help her though her tough time and he will also help you guys through such a tough time too.
Nick - I am praying for Claire every day. I love her so much.
With much love and prayers
The Davis Kids
Abby - Matt - Nick
Post a Comment