Thursday, December 18, 2008

Beginning the road to recovery




Claire had rested the majority of Tuesday after they opened her chest and drained about 100 cc's from around her heart. On Wednesday morning she had a leak in her femeral line and femeral arterial line so they pulled them both and took off her cerebral oxygen monitor on her head. Then Chad, I, and Grandma McKinney met with a new neurologist, Dr. Larsen, to get more information and a second opinion on Claire's neurological status. Although he was not much more positive than our initial neurologist we are still not sure how and when her brain hemorrhage will effect her. No one can tell you since every injury is unique and we have nothing but high hopes and dreams for Claire to lead a normal life. We were able to actually see a few of her MRI scans which helped me to understand which sections of the brain her bleeding occurred in. Then Santa came to visit and she got a Bambi book. Overnight Wednesday night we started to aggressively wean her ventilator rate from 18 to 10 and the doctors expect that this afternoon she will be extubated. I have been trying to convince them to back her up with some pressure support and they assure me that she is stronger now and she should be successful without it. The surgical nurse took out her chest drain and pacer wires and took off some of her bandages so now we can see her incision. Our goal for tonight is to get off of her ventilator and hopefully start feedings on Friday! Say a few prayers for her that she will stay strong now that her heart is fixed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello-seems I am the first to leave a comment-I check the blog all the time hoping for some new updates!Sounds like Claire is progressing-we pray that she does well off the vent-that will be a big step in proving that her little heart is strong!We continue to pray for a complete recovery-and that she will be perfect and healthy.I don't see it being any other way!She is a little miracle!
Bless you - Pat

carrie miller said...

Claire! Claire's color looks great! We are praying her persistent little personality pulls her right on through being extubated and feeding! I know she will do great! Yahoo- for your new nuerologist, that takes guts to do! We can learn to cherish each and every little moment. Little miss Claire will be in our thoughts and prayers, although I am sure she has her own agenda for gettin around to things! The Millers

Laura G said...

Chad, Mindy and Claire~
We are praying for your family daily. Little Claire is beautiful. Her eyes seem to say she has a lot more to give. We will be praying for her to be able to begin feedings again and for her safe recovery. God Bless you,
Jeremy, Laura, Gage & Natalie

tammietammietammie said...

she looks so good! it is so good to see her little eyes open! She seems to be one of the strongest babies I have ever seen...I know she is in there and just waiting to get out of that hospital! She is awesome! Your positive thoughts and constant support are a good model for all of us!